Saturday, March 27, 2010

Installation of Cognos Express (After uninstalling TM1)

Last night until the end of business day today, I was struggling to install IBM Cognos Express Xcelerator module onto my machine, it is like a mission to get it working.

One thing you need to know is that I had IBM Cognos TM1 already installed on my machine, and by design of IBM Cognos Express, you may not install both TM1 and Xcelerator or 2 Xceleartors on the same machine, I believe it is because of versioning issues as well as licencing issues.

So, what have I learnt from this, you cannot have both TM1 and Xcelerator installed on the same machine, if you uninstall TM1, for some reason, not 100% uninstalled, leaving some rubbish sitting in the registry, then oops, Xcelerator will not be able to install, when you try to install Xcelerator or Advisor, you will get the following error message code : MOD-ERR-001, that means that you have another version of TM1 installed on your machine, and the recommendation is to uninstall TM1 and retry, however, I have uninstalled, what else must I do to fix?
is
There are a few places to look for:
1. The Windows Services (You might notice Admin Server and Planning Sample are still there, TM1 did not remove them for some reason)
2. Cognos\TM1\bin folder still exists.

So what I did to take them all out is to dig into the registry, and find the Key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services, then find any thing with TM1, delete them, someone may say why can't I se sc -delete command in DOS? Well, it is not accepting, so I need to go through the back door.

After I deleted, and restarted the machine, not sure whether it is necessary, but doesn't bother me, after restarted and re-install Xcelerator, guess what is the error I am getting next?

SDK-ERR-0064 Installation of Xcelerator failed: Exit value = 1603

Eish, what is going on with this error? I have no idea how to handle that, so I googled a little, came back saying .Net Framework is not up to date, but I am quite a Microsoft geek as well, my .Net Framework is the most up to date version, then another thread, saying my machine need to be in English, and my machine is English, the most promising one is there are values left in registry from the previous installation that did not clear out properly, so I need to remove all of them before I can start over.

At last, I have contacted IBM Support Engineer, and he helped me through that, actually we played with that the whole business day, just to figure out what do I need to do to install Xcelerator, then I realised I need to do a lot more things to clean up.

1. Delete the original directory, IBM\Cognos Express directory.
2. There is a hidden folder under C:\, called Zero G Registry, you need to remove that, since this will keep the history of the installation.
3. Then we play with the registry, find everything in the registry that has
{D0E95515-AFE7-4636-A40D-B18D57213E65}, delete the parent and the key.

What a mission, hey? And they were not documented anywhere. After removed everything, then I tried to reinstall Cognos Express again, now, what do I get?

com.cognos.accman.jcam.crypto.CAMCryptoException : CAM-CRP-1346

Oh, my God, what is this now? It seems like it is trying to match the keys of the installation to let it successfully installed, and why am I seeing that? Because I still have the old key in my cache and I need to clean it first.

So, therefore, I reboot the system, reinstall AGAIN, probably the 20th time already since the first installation, finally, I am seeing Xcelerator successfully installed.

What a MISSION..........

3 comments:

  1. Tat, thanks for your post. This was very helpful. I ran into the exact same situation.

    I would note a few things, in case someone else runs across this issue. Like you, Tat, I had to delete a certain key--actually two different keys--from my registry. My registry key was different, however. To discover the key, I browsed to Program Files\IBM\Cognos Express\logs\express. In this directory you can find the log files for the installation of the three different Cognos Express components. In the log file, it listed the enemy registry key and said there was an issue with the key, which was followed by the Exit Code 1603.

    Once I resovled that error, I was able to install Xcelerator. But then I got another error for Advisor. I did the same thing for Advisor, but yet another error popped up.

    The new error listed Exit Value 1612. This time I had deleted too many registry items. I accidentally deleted the key that defines the path to the setup file, although the error message didn't say that explicity. I kind of had to infer this from what was vaguely communicated through the installation log.

    How did I fix the Exit Value = 1612 error? I browsed directly to the Setup.exe file in my installation folder on my 64-bit machine: \Modules\Advisory x64\Setup.

    In the Setup folder, I double-clicked SetupX64--the setup file. I was then prompted to define the path to the installation package. This sounds funny because I just ran the installation package file, but oh well. So, in the dialog box, I browsed to the same file: \Modules\Advisory x64\Setup\SetupX64.exe. Once the package is selected, the Advisor installation wizard pops up ready to begin installation. I didn't click continue on this dialog box, however, because I wanted to install it via Cognos Manager, not through this direct approach. The only thing this does is it defines the path to the installation package, which can now be used by Cognos Express Manager.

    So I returend to Cognos Manager and clicked install for Advisor. The installation worked this time because it knew the path to the setup file.

    Yes, this took me all day to figure out.

    Thanks Tat,

    Reuben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cognos TM1 Online Training, ONLINE TRAINING – IT SUPPORT – CORPORATE TRAINING http://www.21cssindia.com/courses/cognos-tm1-online-training-91.html The 21st Century Software Solutions of India offers one of the Largest conglomerations of Software Training, IT Support, Corporate Training institute in India - +919000444287 - +917386622889 - Visakhapatnam,Hyderabad Cognos TM1 Online Training, Cognos TM1 Training, Cognos TM1, Cognos TM1 Online Training| Cognos TM1 Training| Cognos TM1| "Courses at 21st Century Software Solutions
    Talend Online Training -Hyperion Online Training - IBM Unica Online Training - Siteminder Online Training - SharePoint Online Training - Informatica Online Training - SalesForce Online Training - Many more… | Call Us +917386622889 - +919000444287 - contact@21cssindia.com
    Visit: http://www.21cssindia.com/courses.html"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate information shared above. It’s of great help. If someone want to learn Online (Virtual) instructor lead live training in IBM COGNOS TM1 TRAINING, kindly contact us http://www.maxmunus.com/contact
    MaxMunus Offer World Class Virtual Instructor led training on TECHNOLOGY. We have industry expert trainer. We provide Training Material and Software Support. MaxMunus has successfully conducted 100000+ trainings in India, USA, UK, Australlia, Switzerland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Bahrain and UAE etc.
    For Demo Contact us.
    Sangita Mohanty
    MaxMunus
    E-mail: sangita@maxmunus.com
    Skype id: training_maxmunus
    Ph:(0) 9738075708 / 080 - 41103383
    http://www.maxmunus.com/

    ReplyDelete